Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Flat tire, no jack- Why we need each other

This morning I headed to the gym to workout knowing I had a tire with some problems. On the way I thought "my plan has worked I can do what I want before taking care of this." Driving from the gym the vibration began to increase I thought if I slowed down maybe I could make it home. Kathunk, kathunk... I have a flat tire. This mishap was made more exciting since I remembered my jack broke the last time I had a flat. My friend and coelder Kevin came to my aid. I used his jack, which slipped and caused my behemoth truck to fall onto the rotor and pin the spare tire under my wheel well, significantly damaging my front quarter panel. Only the restraining and sanctifying work of the Lord prevented me from going nuclear. Kevin left to buy a floor jack. In the meantime, Raleigh, Billy and Raleigh came to my aid. These were country folk who knew a thing or two about trucks (the fact that I drove a Ford endeared me to them, sorry Dad-Chevy man). Grandpa, Dad and teenage son quickly moved in (they carry floor jacks with them). My spare is now in place. I write about my morning to remind you of your need for Christian fellowship. These "brethren" had tools and knowledge I didn't possess. The Lord intended us to live in community. Have you forsaken or begrudged the assembling of yourslves together? Have you failed to ask for help in your time of need. There are Raleighs and Billys ready to help. We need each other, its part of His plan.

1 comment:

  1. Wow - what is it with Covenant elders and flat tires lately?! I guess Kevin is next. Brother, I could so relate, especially to the ominous vibration you described. Were it not for the help of many brethren covering my church responsibilities (Kevin and you), helping us get the kids packed (Cindy and Mike), watching pets (Mom and Dad), praying (whole church at Covenant Reformed Baptist Church), etc., we could not have gotten out of town and up to NY to minister to Karen's ailing mother last week as quickly as we needed to and did. We also had some help from Sam, a stranger at TiresPlus who agreed to fix our flat tire after hours even though his company was technically closed. What a blessing to have the well of help and encouragement of the body of Christ to draw from and pour into. I don't agree with Hillary Clinton on her "It takes a village" to raise children concept, but I would agree with a paraphrase that says "It takes a church to live the abundant Christian life the way God intended it to be." Thank you, Christopher, for sharing your experience and turning it into a life lesson that could benefit others. –Mark

    "Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ." Galatians 6:2

    ReplyDelete