Friday, October 16, 2009

16 October

Sermon prep is heavy on my mind. To what degree is Stephen advancing the "living stones" idea of God's spritual house being made up of believers not a 'temple' structure? The theme is certainly there but my biblical theology side wonders how far Stephen is going in Acts 7:44-50. I would like to think he is developing it in the way Peter does later but it is early in the revelatory development of the Church's standing in Christ. God's dwelling place, Stephen argues, is in the hearts of men (the Kingdom too). The Sanhedrin would certainly bristle at that. Particularly, when you consider the 'earthiness' of the Sadducees. He is by default defending himself against the charge of blaspheming the Temple (Acts 6) but his main argument is to proclaim judgment against the Sanhedrin because they have failed to esteem the promised Messiah, our Lord Jesus Christ.

Reading again in 2 Samuel, Romans and Famine In The Land (Lawson).

Feeling a bit melancholy today. I know the Truth but don't feeeeel the blessing. I had better go preach to myself, pray and repent!

No comments:

Post a Comment