Monday, October 12, 2009

Blessed

After running this morning I was again reminded that my youthful athleticism is fleeting. Last week, my oldest son (soon to be 13) asked if he could join me on a 3 mile run. I warned him that though he is extremely fit, the kind of running he had been doing (sports, sprinting) wouldn't necessarily translate well to a longer distance endurance run. He started at a quicker pace than I thought wise and remained about 25-50 yards ahead of me. He was able to maintain a blistering pace, sprinting over the canal bridge both ways, running ahead then back to me to check and see if I was okay (he enjoyed that). My boy is a stud! He sprinted the last 1/4 mile home. I came in a couple of moments later, he was drinking a glass of water and had already returned to a normal breathing pattern. In my twenties, this would have bothered me. Now I just feel blessed. I don't want to be a teenager again. In fact, as a Christian and pastor the idea of being an old man is exciting to me. More years of knowing and loving Christ and the wisdom that can only be acquired through years of living is very appealing. It is good to be here. Take some time to appreciate what Christ has done for you. Don't look back with longing, enjoy today's blessings and apply what you have learned to an expectant future. We are blessed if we know Him. Grey hair and failing body come, we fear you not!

No comments:

Post a Comment