Thursday, July 29, 2010

Homeland and Cemeteries

This morning, we went out to see our family homestead and visit the burial sites of dozens of our people. I was amazed to stand at the family church cemetery at the top of the hill (severely sloped, like small mountains) and see all of the tombstones of our relatives. And looking to the right toward the horizon I could see our farmstead and the house my grandfather built for his family on property from his father-in-law, my great grandfather. As a lifelong resident of Orlando (one of the most transient places on earth) it seemed like a different world. I have lived in a dozen places but, my great uncle Harvey (75 years) lives in the home he was born in. He has never lived anywhere else excepting his Marine military service. His many great grandparents lived on the same plot of land.

I need to conclude my night with Word and prayer. Grace to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment